You can see the top ribbons better in this pic. The other two were about waist level on each side. To finish it up, I glued the ribbons to the cardboard part of the shell. Then I took the second oval circle and covered all the raw edges on the cardboard to finish it. The shell just goes over the head. Franklin also wears a red hat and neckerchief. So I did a paper cut out of the sun design and taped it to a red baseball hat. I had red bandanna to tie around his neck and it was complete. I didn't go so far as to buy a green sweatsuit, like I have seen on other blogs. Just a green shirt we had and jeans. He was very happy with his costume and all the kids at school thought he was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle... sigh.
Thursday, February 28, 2013
Hey it's Franklin!
Book character Day at school, you know because they don't allow Halloween anymore and kids like to dress up. I can appreciate keeping things focused on learning, but that means I have to come up with costumes when there are not a zillion cheap ones available at Wally World. Yes, I can sew pretty well but with the price of all the fabric and notions being so high, I will gladly pay for an affordable pre-made costume. This was not an option for Franklin the turtle. So, my search began... I mean why reinvent the wheel when I was sure pinterest could lead me to greatness. I found lots of ideas that weren't exactly great looking and then I found this blog The Almost Perfectionist that had a tutorial for a turtle shell that looked good and was easy. Not just easy, but a no sew tutorial. I basically followed her steps, with just a few modifications.